I love my followers! Join us, and I will follow back! Making new friends is so much fun!

Friday, March 2, 2012

Cuban Mojito Chicken with Black Beans and Yellow Rice

My hubby was fortunate enough to go on a mission to Cuba a few years back.  He came back with a great fondness for the Cuban people, and this chicken dish.  He said  there was a version of it on every Cuban restaurant menu.  I tried many times to duplicate it...but it was hard to match "it was chicken with spices and orange".  After much experimentation, I found a recipe on Epicurious that I adapted.  This is the result.  It is tasty, and very different.  I would love to hear from any Cuban food experts out there to find out if this is authentic.  Excuse the messy presentation, but they guys grabbed their plates so quickly, this was available to photograph. :)

Ingredients:
8 pieces of chicken
1 C marinade (recipe below)
1 large onion, sliced
Cilantro
Accompaniments:
Cilantro leaves, orange and lime wedges for garnish
Cuban Black Beans (recipe follows)
Mahatma yellow rice

Marinade:
Ingredients:
1/4 C garlic, minced
1/2 C onion. chopped
2 C fresh orange juice
1/2 C fresh lime juice
1/2 C olive oil
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 TBS cilantro, chopped

Instructions:
Mix garlic, onions, citrus juices in a bowl.  Heat olive oil in large saucepan.  Carefully slide contents of bowl into pan.  Be very careful because liquid might splatter.  Simmer until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.  Add the remaining ingredients.  When marinade is cool, pour into a blender and pulse three or four times to blend.  Put in covered container and refrigerate.  Marinade keeps for about two weeks.  I make my marinade a day or so in advance to allow the flavors to fully develop.  To prepare chicken, pour marinade over the it, and rub some under the skin.  Marinate for about 4 hours, or overnight.  When ready to cook chicken, spread onion slices over the bottom of a baking dish; lay chicken on top of onions,  skin side up.   Roast about 1  hour and 15 minutes at 375F, until the chicken is golden brown.  Place chicken on serving platter, pour some pan juices over it, and garnish with fresh cilantro, orange and lime wedges.  The fresh citrus squeezed on the chicken at the table adds flavor.

Cuban Black Beans
Ingredients:
I had never cooked black beans before, so I found this recipe from Saveur, and modified it.
Ingredients:
1 1/2# dried black beans (1 bag)
1 bay leaf
1 sprig fresh oregano
1 ham hock
1 tsp. cumin
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 green bell pepper, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Onion, chopped for garnish

Instructions:
Sort and clean beans to remove any small stones or particles; rinse under cold water.  Saute' vegetables in a little olive oil, then add beans and all ingredients, and cover with 3-4 inches of water.  Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to simmer.  Cover and cook about 2 hours, or until beans are tender.  Add water as needed, but don't make the broth too soupy.  Remove bay leaf before serving, and garnish with freshly chopped onion.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Patsy...My husband would LOVE everyone of these recipes. Its really hard to find any cuban recipes around here. So now I can make them myself!

    Thankyou for dropping by my blog and making a comment. It means alot. I too am following you now. We have going on 35 grandchildren but no greats yet. I love that you're putting up these wonderful recipes for your family and friends. Can hardly wait to peruse other posts because you have a most delicious blog.

    Hugs,

    Nann

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS The word 'recipe' in the first sentence was suppose to be 'resturants.' I was typing too fast. (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PSS Oops did it again. It was in the 2nd sentence....cuban restaurants. We have none around here. Honest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! I love the marinade, it sounds super tasty! Have a wonderful week my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really sounds delicious. I love to visit your blog and always enjoy the time I spend here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family would love that, I have to try it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to try Cuban food and now I have a recipe! Thanks for sharing at the Rock 'N Share!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Patsy,
    How do you like this wonderful weather that we are having? I can sure see why your family would eat this up so fast there would be nothing left. This is an awesome recipe that I can't wait to try. Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks mighty tasty, my friend! Your guys are so lucky to have you cooking all those wonderful meals for them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is definitely a keeper for me. Thanks for linking up at Thriving on Thursdays. The linky party starts in just over 12 hours. Would love to see what you've been up to this week.

    Anne @ Domesblissity

    ReplyDelete