I love my followers! Join us, and I will follow back! Making new friends is so much fun!

Friday, July 29, 2011

My Grandmother's Chicken and Dumplings


Ingredients
Whole chicken, about 3#
1 box Swanson’s chicken stock
1 C water
Salt and pepper to taste
2 C Self-rising flour
¼ C Crisco
About ¾ C milk

Instructions:
Make biscuit dough using last three ingredients. Roll thin like a pie crust, and cut in strips with pizza cutter. Cut in opposite direction to make 1-2” rectangles. Let set until firm, so dumplings won't be doughy. Boil chicken in stock and water until done, probably about an hour. Cool chicken, and take off bones. Bring broth from chicken to a soft rolling boil. Drop in dumplings a few at a time, stirring frequently. Cook until done, about 20 minutes. Add chicken and salt and pepper to taste. Bring back to soft boil. If broth gets too thick, and water or more stock a little at a time until desired consistency.
My grandmother, Ruby Hodges Yancey, was a true Southern cook. Simple dishes with fresh ingredients, and always delicious! I miss her every day of my life.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a wonderful, comforting meal! What great memories you have of your special grandma, who shaped your life.

    ReplyDelete